Country-specific adoption information for parents considering adopting from Colombia.
Colombia, a full member of the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption, processes adoptions through the Colombian Family Welfare Institute (ICBF). The country doesn't allow any private adoptions, and parents must travel and appear before a family judge in Colombia to complete an adoption.
The waiting children in Colombia are generally well cared for in private or government-run orphanages or foster homes. Detailed medical and development information is often available.
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamiliescircle.com.
Colombia Adoption Requirements and Facts:
- 2011 adoptions: 216 children
- Hague Accredited: Yes
- Estimated Total Cost: $20,000 to $35,000
- Profile of Children: Infants through school age, and siblings are available. 45% of children adopted in 2010 were five years or older.
- Parent Ages: Parents must be at least 25 years old. In practice, younger children are assigned to younger parents.
- Family Status: Couples who have been married for at least three years preferred, though singles may adopt children over age seven. Documents proving financial status and good health are required.
- Travel: Both parents must travel to appear before a judge, and at least one must remain for the duration of the in-country process.
- Timeline: Approximately 18 to 30 months after dossier submission for infants, with much shorter waits for older children.
Colombia Adoption Directory
Helpful Articles for Colombia Adopters
- Our Proud Heritage
- At Home in Two Worlds
by Leceta Chisholm Guibault
"From an early age, my children needed to know where they belonged—and where they came from."
- Saying No to Racism
by Gloria G. Rodriguez, Ph.D.
You can offer your children support—and the tools they need to fight back.
- Habla Espanol?
by Laurie R. Weaver, Ed.D.
Learning spanish can help your child explore her birth culture and identity.
Best Web Resources for Colombia Adopters
Get International Adoption Support on AdoptiveFamiliesCircle
Back To Home Page©2013 Adoptive Families. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part is prohibited.