Country-specific adoption information for parents considering adopting from Uganda.
The Ugandan government requires that adoptive parents live in Uganda for a minimum of three years and foster the prospective child for 36 months before the adoption is complete, but the High Court judges often waive this requirement.
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamiliescircle.com.
Uganda Adoption Requirements and Facts:
- 2011 adoptions: 207 children
- Hague Accredited: No
- Estimated Total Cost: $20,000 to $30,000
- Profile of Children: 48% of children adopted in 2010 were age five years or older. Children over age 14 must consent to their adoption.
- Parent Ages: Adoptive parents must be at least 25 years old and 21 years older than the child. If married, only one parent needs to fulfill age requirements.
- Family Status: Married couples and singles of the same sex as the child may adopt.
- Travel: One or both parents may choose to travel.
- Timeline: Approximately 12 months from dossier to placement.
Uganda Adoption Directory
Helpful Articles from Adoptive Families Magazine
Helpful Books for Uganda Adopters
Helpful Web Resources for Uganda Adopters
Get International Adoption Support on AdoptiveFamiliesCircle
Back To Home Page©2013 Adoptive Families. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part is prohibited.