Country-specific adoption information for parents considering adopting from Bulgaria.
Bulgaria processes adoptions through the Ministry of Justice. Adopting parents must use an adoption agency accredited by the Bulgarian government. Adoptions are not processed on a first come, first serve basis. Instead, priority is given to parents adopting special-needs children. Bulgaria is a member of the Hague Adoption Convention.
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamiliescircle.com.
Bulgaria Adoption Requirements and Facts:
- 2011 adoptions: 75 children
- Hague Accredited: Yes
- Estimated Total Cost: $25,000 to $35,000
- Profile of Children: In 2010, 69% of children were age five or older.
- Parent Ages: Parents must be 15 years older than the child.
- Family Status: Married couples and singles may adopt.
- Travel: Both parents must travel.
- Timeline: Can take several years to receive a referral.
Bulgaria Adoption Directory
Helpful Articles from Adoptive Families Magazine
- Through the Glass
A mother reflects on how she and her daughter met as strangers and grew to become family.
- How Jesse Learned to Play
A little boy adjusts to his new life in America, after living in an orphanage in Bulgaria.
Helpful Web Resources for Bulgaria Adopters
Get International Adoption Support on AdoptiveFamiliesCircle
Back To Home Page©2013 Adoptive Families. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part is prohibited.