Country-specific adoption information for parents considering adopting from Haiti.
The adoption process in Haiti can be complicated by differing requirements by local authorities within a jurisdiction. Haiti requires a psychological and medical examination of both prospective parents and, depending on the jurisdiction, may require parents to appear at a court hearing. It is recommended that prospective parents use a licensed adoption agency.
For more information, visit www.adoption.state.gov. View photos and get parent-to-parent advice in our online community, www.adoptivefamiliescircle.com.
Haiti Adoption Requirements and Facts:
- 2011 adoptions: 33 children
- Hague Accredited: No
- Estimated Total Cost: $15,000 to $30,000
- Profile of Children: 59% of children adopted to the U.S. are five years or older (2010).
- Parent Ages: Parents must be at least 35 years old, and at least 19 years older than the child. Married couples may have one partner under age 35 as long as the couple has been married for 10 years or more and has no biological children.
- Family Status: Married couples and singles may adopt. Parents with older children must obtain a waiver in order to adopt.
- Travel: Depending on the jurisdiction, one parent may have to travel.
- Timeline: About 18 months from dossier submission to placement, although has taken up to 24 months in the past.
Haiti Adoption Directory
Helpful Articles from Adoptive Families Magazine
Helpful Web Resources for Haiti Adopters
Join the Haiti Adoptive Families group on AdoptiveFamiliesCircle
Back To Home Page©2013 Adoptive Families. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part is prohibited.