Married couples living outside Lithuania may only adopt sibling groups of three or more, children with special needs, or children 8 years or older.
For more up-to-date information on how to adopt from Lithuania, visit the Lithuania page of the U.S. State Department’s website. Get parent-to-parent advice and support in the International Adoptive Families group in our online community, Adoptive Families Circle.
Lithuania Adoption Fast Facts
- 2015 Adoptions: 11 children
- Hague Country: Yes
- Estimated Total Cost: Unknown
- Profile of Children: 91% of children are between 5 and 12 years old (2015). Children up to age 18 may be adopted. Children 10 years and older must consent to the adoption.
- Parent Ages: Adoptive parents must be at least 18 and generally no older than 50, however exceptions can be made if it is deemed in the best interest of the child.
- Family Status: Married heterosexual couples only. Lithuanian law does not recognize same-sex marriage.
- Travel: Parents must travel to Lithuania to complete the adoption.
- Timeline: Generally between six months and two years.