While there are no "right" answers to the following questions, you will want to think about your response to each one if you're planning on adopting a child of a different race.
- Do you live in an integrated neighborhood, so that your child will be able to attend an integrated school? If not, would you consider moving to a new neighborhood?
- Do you have friends of different races and ethnic groups? Do you visit one another's homes regularly?
- Do you attend multicultural festivals?
- Do you enjoy different kinds of ethnic foods?
- How will you respond to people who make negative comments or stare? Can you do it in a way that will help your child feel good about himself or herself?
- Are you ready to help your family deal with the racial bias you might face together?
You are viewing this exclusive AF content as a guest. To access our full Adoption Parenting Library — plus digital issues, eBooks, expert audio and more — join Adoptive Families today.