Mexico only works with certain Hague accredited adoption service providers in the U.S. Parents should be prepared to spend at least three months in Mexico to complete the pre-adoption trial period and to finalize paperwork.
For more up-to-date information on how to adopt from Mexico, visit the Mexico page of the U.S. State Department’s website. Get parent-to-parent advice and support in the Mexico Adoptive Families group in our online community, Adoptive Families Circle.
Mexico Adoption Fast Facts
- 2015 Adoptions: 24 children
- Hague Country: Yes
- Estimated Total Cost: $20,000 to $25,000
- Profile of Children: 46% of children are girls (2015). Children must be 5 years or older.
- Parent Ages: Prospective adoptive parents must be over 25 years of age and at least 17 years older than the child. For married couples, only one parent must meet the age requirement.
- Family Status: Married couples and singles. Same-sex couples may only adopt in Mexico City.
- Travel: Prospective parents must travel to Mexico to complete a one to three week pre-adoption trial period, where they will live with their child.
- Timeline: Generally six months or longer.