In August 2012, Kazakhstan announced that it was suspending all intercountry adoptions to the United States. The country continues to work on authorizing U.S. adoption service providers to meet the requirements of the Hague Adoption Convention.
Many of the children eligible for adoption in Kazakhstan have special needs.
For more up-to-date information on how to adopt from Kazakhstan, visit the Kazakhstan Adoption page on the U.S. State Department’s website. Get parent-to-parent advice and support in the Kazakhstan Adoptive Families group in our online community, AdoptiveFamiliesCircle.
Kazakhstan Adoption Fast Facts
- 2011 Adoptions: 86 (most recent statistic available)
- Hague Country: Yes
- Profile of Children: 59% of children are between one and four years old. 56% are girls (2011). The child must consent to adoption if he or she is 10 years or older.
- Average Total Cost: $30,000 to $40,000
- Parents' Ages: The age difference between the parents and the child must be at least 16 years and not more than 45 years.
- Family Requirements: A couple must be legally married. Gay and lesbian couples and single fathers cannot adopt.
- Travel: Be prepared to travel to Kazakhstan at least once, for a four week bonding period at the child's place of residence.
- Timeline for Kazakhstan Adoption: 6-9 months after submission of dossier
Helpful Books for Kazakhstan Adopters
- Russian Adoption Handbook: How to Adopt a Child from Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan by John H. Maclean
- Kazakhstan: Unfulfilled Promise by Martha Brill Olcott
More Kazakhstan Adoption Resources
- U.S. Department of State - International Adoption from Kazakhstan
- Kazakh Aul of the United States: Nonprofit organization dedicated to meeting the cultural needs of American families with children from Kazakhstan.
- U.S. Embassy in Kazakhstan
- Consular Section of the Embassy of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Yahoo! Group: Kazakhstan Adoption
You are viewing this exclusive AF content as a guest. To access our full Adoption Parenting Library — plus digital issues, eBooks, expert audio and more — join Adoptive Families today.