Ask AF: Long Term Treatment for Emotional Problems

Where can adoptive parents turn if their child has emotional issues they can't afford to treat? Try these AF expert-recommended resources.

Q: Our 15-year-old son has developed severe emotional problems. We’ve been told he needs residential care, but we can’t afford this. What can we do?

A: Start by contacting your placing agency for help. They probably won’t be able to provide funding, but they may know how other families they’ve worked with have gotten services. You might contact your state’s services for children (foster care) — some parents have used temporary foster care to provide residential services for children.

Finally, does your son receive special-education services at school, via an Individualized Education Program (IEP)? If so, ask about residential treatment as part of his IEP. You might seek assistance from an attorney specializing in family or mental health disability law in this matter.


Copyright © 1999-2021 Adoptive Families Magazine®. All rights reserved. For personal use only. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.

More articles like this


Given email address is already subscribed, thank you!
Oops. Something went wrong. Please try again later.
Please provide a valid email address.
Thank you, your sign-up request was successful! Please check your e-mail inbox.
Please complete the CAPTCHA.
Please fill in the required fields.